Sunday, March 4, 2012

Play

I can't get my phone and my computer to talk to each other, so there are no pictures yet.  I'll try at school tomorrow.

     The pictures turned out great, I was surprised by how much color the reflected light brought to the paper.  In person, the structures seemed flimsy and transient.  Small gusts of wind fluttered the edges and threatened disaster.  Digitally, in the dark, they seem monumental and architectural.  They appear enduring.  Without the photos, my memory of the structures would be of light shining through or against the planes of the paper.  With the photos, the structures are much  stronger and have more presence, so I'll remember them that way.  It was so interesting to trade pieces and conglomerate.  It led to surprise and unexpected results.  It was also good to remember that Precious is not a good thing.  The explorations in coffee stains and other ephemeral image starters reminded me again about not being precious.
     I think artists play to, as Olivia Gude said, "catch the unconscious mind unawares."  Playing is exploring.  Exploring leads to surprises.  Surprises are one of the rewards of making art.  The paper was a fabulous material to work with, because it is so familiar, cheap, plentiful and can be made structural.  All of the different incarnations that we made from the same material were fascinating.  It was mind opening to see the ways that play can be inserted into bits of class time.  It makes learning more interesting, memorable and fun.  Also, play and the things the students learn under the guise of play, will leave them with positive feelings and memories of their learning experiences.                       
     

  

No comments:

Post a Comment