This batch of articles gave me many ideas for my future
students. When I’m planning curriculum,
I want to remember: exploration, play,
experimentation and investigation.
I remember hearing about “Days of Play” from Sharyn Hyatt-Wade
last semester. At Rockbridge High
School, she occasionally had students explore and play with unfamiliar media
and techniques. I think a room full of
people experimenting with something new and uncharted is so amazing. It leads to more creative thinking and ideas
and artwork. Plus, it’s so much fun.
The Elegant Problems section reminded me of the things I’ve been
considering for a school wide unit at my student teaching host school. I want to create an elegant problem that is
flexible and deep enough to accommodate and fascinate the entire K-12 student
body, along with the faculty, administration and any parents who are paying
attention.
The Critique section was a revelation. I’ve been a participant in many critiques but
never really thought about what it takes to facilitate one. Duh.
The guidelines put forth in Carroll were clear and purposeful.
In the article “Tentative Tips for Better Crits…” 2006,
Terry Barrett discussed a variety of ways to facilitate effective and
successful critiques, including:
“Work to quickly build a psychologically-safe
environment:
People
need to feel safe before they will speak or speak honestly.
Do
not use sarcasm.
Be
an attentive and responsive listener.
Do
not ask rhetorical questions or questions to which you already know the answer.
Thank
people who respond.
Do
not criticize responses so as not to suppress further responses.
Predetermine
the purpose of the critique”
I think that once
students are accustomed to talking about each other’s art and art in general,
they will enjoy critiques. By following
Carroll and Barrett’s suggestions, I can learn to facilitate productive
critiques.
No comments:
Post a Comment