I chose a book form in a non traditional shape. I love to read and I love to make things.
I grew up in Jefferson City where I remember getting my first big box of crayons. Oh Joy! My mother has been a teacher my whole life. Most of her friends are teachers. Some of my best friends are teachers. I never wanted to be a teacher when I was younger. This seems to be a common theme among some of the people in our class. The raft is me after high school, floating along, painting t-shirts. That is why the raft has a t-shirt for a sail. I applied to a school in NYC, so there is the circa 1985 NYC skyline. But I went to college in Colorado, which was great. I had wonderful art teachers there. The next few panels are life back in MO after graduation. I made a lot of art and took a lot of classes at MU for fun. That has turned out to be very fortuitous. The airplane represents the travelling I was able to do at this point in my life. The canoe is my relationship with my daughter's father. It takes two cooperative people to paddle a canoe.
I volunteered at some different schools and did some substitute teaching. Volunteering was way more fun than substituting. Once I figured out that I like working with kids, I started to actually entertain the notion of being a teacher. The only subject I could imagine myself really enjoying teaching was Art. I think I could teach English or Social Studies, or be a Librarian, but none of those are anywhere near as appealing to me. Now, on the river, my daughters and I are in a motor boat, cruising past the hoops I had to jump through to get into MU and Townsend Hall.
The red house is where I live now. The RVIII is my children's school, but it represents any of the small, rural school districts up here north of Columbia. Ever since I planned to become an art teacher, I have hoped to eventually teach at one of these small schools. I like the idea of teaching students from K-12. What a challenge. I really enjoy my time at the big middle school in Columbia though, and I can imagine teaching somewhere like that as well. Eventually, I would like to live in St. Louis or some other big city for a few years, teaching and making art. Then my little skiff can turn into an ocean going sailboat to take me around the world, or back to Jefferson City, or wherever.
No comments:
Post a Comment